At some point we have all tried some form of running to improve our fitness. Even during our U8WC FitClub Bootcamps, the running component has shown to be a great way to improve your overall fitness and build cardio.
Running is a good way to complement a number of fitness programs, especially boxing. When preparing for a fight, most boxers will include some type of running in their training routine.
When done correctly, running can actually reduce knee pain and improve the overall health of your knees. With a variety of surfaces and speeds, you gain great benefits from running. It can be done on sand, grass, running tracks, paths and even in deep water with a buoyancy belt.
Below are a variety of running workouts you can do besides the “good old road run” –
1. Fartlek: Mix intervals of varying distance, speeds, duration and terrain. Time depends on fitness levels.
2. Tempo Run: Used by both sprinters and distance runners. For sprinters, it’s race distances at approximately 75% of top speed with short recoveries. Distance runners will run at or above race pace for set distances, used to challenge lactate threshold.
3. Intervals: Repeated shorter efforts at fast pace with recoveries of slow jogging, walking or standing.
4. Hill Sprints: Short segments of fast running up hills of varying incline. The speed is usually determined by steepness and/or length of the hill.
5. Shuttle Runs/Wind Sprints: Done over short distance, usually not longer than 100m at approximately 90% of top speed. A jog, walk or set time is used for recovering.
6. Recovery Run: At comfortable pace, where effort is minimal. Comparably shorter and slower than most runs. Often done the day after or preceding hard training session.
As you can see, there are plenty of options with running sessions. If you maintain good technique and recover well, you could then add some sessions into your weekly training routine.
If you'd like to learn more tips and tricks to take your fitness to the next level, feel free to have a chat with me or book into a Personal Training Session here :)
Thanks for reading!
Fly into FitClub this month and have a go at our Superman Burpee Challenge!
We're looking to see how many you can do in a minute. Try it once, twice - as many times as you like. You have the whole month to improve your personal best.
And if you're on top of the Leaderboard at the end of May, 100 FitClub Reward Points are all yours!